The Speedy V-Stitch Market Bag is my second market bag of the season and I’m excited about the lacy and airy look the v-stitches add. This bag is great for those summer and fall markets, grocery shopping, beach and pool days, and even makes a great bag to carry your crochet projects for when you’re crocheting on-the-go!
This bag is super fast to make, especially when you get to the v-stitches. The base of the bag is nice and roomy, while the top tapers in a little bit, making it great for holding a surprising amount of items of all shapes and sizes while being comfortable on your shoulder.
For this bag, I used a Caron Cotton Cake. I find that cotton is great for making bags. You can also use acrylic yarn for your bag, just note that it could stretch quite a bit so you might want to keep that in mind when deciding on how long you’d like your handles to be.
If you like crochet video tutorials, check out (and subscribe to) my Loops and Love Crochet YouTube Channel!
Want to save this pattern for later? Click here to Pin It on Pinterest!
If you are hooked on making market bags like I am right now, you can also check out my Easy Market Tote crochet pattern!
This pattern is available for FREE on this website. If you’d like an ad-free, printable PDF version, you may purchase it for a small fee from my Etsy or Ravelry shops. Thank you so much for supporting Loops & Love Crochet!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. This is done at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Loops & Love Crochet!
- Worsted-Weight Cotton Yarn – I used a Caron Cotton Cake in the Hydrangea colorway. This bag took about three quarters of the 485m/530yd skein. You can use another worsted-weight cotton yarn for this project. Check the gauge below if you need it to help with your yarn substitutions.
- Crochet hook – 5.0mm size
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Ch – Chain
- Sl St – Slip Stitch
- SC – Single crochet
- DC – Double crochet
- V-Stitch – Double crochet, chain 1, double crochet all in the same stitch.
- 2 inches square = 4 rows of 8 DC stitches
- When laying flat, this bag is approx. 15 inches long (not including handles) and 13.5 inches wide.
- Joined Rounds – This bag is worked in joined rounds. At the end of each round, you will be joining the last stitch of the round to the first stitch with a slip stitch.
- Starting Each Round – Start the first stitch of each round in the same stitch as the chain 1 or chain 2. Chain stitches do not count towards the stitch count of each round.
- Changing Bag Size – You can easily adjust this pattern to make a larger or smaller bag, depending on your preference. If you don’t want your bag to be as wide, stop increasing at after whichever round you’d like in the first 10 rounds and skip right to the 3 rounds of DC in round 11. If you want a shorter or longer bag, just repeat the v-stitch rounds as long as you’d like until you’re happy with the height of the bag, then skip to the handles section in rounds 35-39. Note that if you change the number of stitches in the base of the bag, you’ll have to adjust the handle section a bit too because the math won’t add up. If you are stuck on this, feel free to send me a message through my Facebook page or an email and I’d be happy to help! My contact info is at the end of the pattern!
- Video Tutorial – I made a video tutorial to help with some of the stitches in making this bag, as well as for doing the straps/handle section. You can find this video here on my page or you can watch it on YouTube HERE. (While you’re there, I’d love it if you subscribed to my new YouTube channel!)
Round 1: Magic Circle, ch 2, 12 DC into the circle. Join to first DC with a sl st, ch 2. (12)
Round 2: 2 DC in each stitch around, join, ch 2. (24)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2. (36)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (48)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (60)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (72)
Round 7: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 5 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (84)
Round 8: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 6 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (96)
Round 9: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 7 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (108)
Round 10: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 8 stitches, repeat around, join, ch 2. (120)
*You are now finished the increases for the base of the bag. In the next rounds, you will be adding to the height of the bag.
Rounds 11-13: DC in each stitch around. Join, ch 2. (120)
Round 14: V-stitch (DC, ch 1, DC) in first stitch, skip 2 stitches, v-stitch in next. Repeat around. Join to first stitch – do not chain 2 here. (40 v-stitches)
Rounds 15-30: Slip stitch to the middle of the first v-stitch from the previous round. Chain 2, v-stitch in the center of each v-stitch from the previous round. Join to first stitch – do not chain 2). (40 v-stitches)
*To change the length of the bag, you can repeat round 12 for as many times as you like until you have the length you desire. If you want a shorter bag, just stop the rounds of v-stitches whenever you’d like and then Then follow the instructions below for the handles.
Rounds 31-34: Chain 1, SC in the top of each DC from the previous round. Join to first SC. (80)
Note – make sure you are not adding a SC in the middle of each v-stitch. You are only doing a SC in the top of the each DC from the v-stitches)
In the last few rounds below, you will be adding the handles and then making them thicker by crocheting around the bag and around the handles a few times. *Note – If you’d like your bag to have longer handles, just add more chain stitches in round 35 below. Just make sure you make each chain the same length so that both the handles are the even. 😊
Round 35: SC in first 8, chain 70, skip 24 stitches, SC in next 16, chain 70, skip 24 stitches, SC in last 8, join, ch 1.
Round 36: SC in each stitch around and in each of the chain stitches, join, ch 1.
Rounds 37-39: SC in each stitch around, join, ch 1.
*after round 36, do not chain 1. Fasten off and weave in ends.
*If you’d like a wider handle, you can add a few more rounds of SC before you fasten off.
You’re all finished! I hope you enjoyed this pattern and love your new market bag!
**Want to be kept in the loop? Be sure to like Loops and Love Crochet on Facebook and join the Loops and Love Crochet Group! Don’t forget to follow @loopsandlovecrochet on Instagram! Remember to tag Loops and Love Crochet when you post your finished projects on social media! I’d love to see them! **
*You may make and sell any items made from my patterns, but please link back to my blog or Loops & Love Crochet as the designer. Please do not copy this pattern or photos and share as your own, in part or in whole. Instead, link back to the Loops and Love Crochet blog (especially when selling items you make from my patterns). Thank you!